37. La Fin Du Monde

37. La Fin Du Monde



Kappy's was selling a Unibroue mixed eight-pack. None of the contents were new for me, but I haven't had some of Unibroue's regular offerings in a long time so I picked one up. I first had La Fin Du Monde my senior year at Texas A&M on a recommendation from Scott. This was the beer that really turned me on to Belgian Strong Pale Ales, and Belgian style beers in general. I let this warm to around 40ยบ F and served it in one of my Duvel tulips.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Unibroue
Alcohol: 9.00%
Serving: 12 oz. bottle
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (5.0): Pours a hazy brilliant golden with a thick fluffy creamy head, that slowly fades to a very persistent thin half-inch layer that leaves patchy lace.

Smell (5.0): Yeasty with a sweet fruitiness. Notes of citrus, bananas, light graininess, pepper and alcohol.

Taste (5.0): Sweet malts and fruits, including bananas and citrus. The finish is a nice interplay of peppery and spicy alcohol, and bitterness.

Mouthfeel (4.5): Tingly carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a slight dryness in the finish.

Drinkability (5.0): Delicious and drinkable, despite the 9.0% abv. I sessioned this in undergrad.

Overall (4.95): One of my favorite, if not favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ales.

Labels: , ,