382. Cantillon Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru

382. Cantillon Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru



I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits tonight. I chilled it in the fridge and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters. This is the fourth Cantillon beer that I've had in the last few weeks. I've been slowly working through the Cantillon selection at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I've been sticking to the "cheaper" bottles, but I'll eventually shell out the $30 for either a LouPepe Framboise, a Lou Pepe Gueuze or maybe the $40 for a Saint Lamvinus. My next Cantillon purchase will probably be Fou' Foune, their apricot lambic. This is an Unblended Lambic. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (4.0): Pours a hazy golden with a thin layer of large bubbles that quickly disappear leaving only a transient thin ring.

Smell (4.0): Much like the other Cantillon lambics the nose is dominated by sour and musty earthy aromas. These are more subdued than the other Cantillon beers that I've tried. I also noticed a light fruity sweetness. A sniff directly from the bottle reminds me of grapes, but I don't catch this once decanted.

Taste (3.5): Upfront there are tart lemony and citric flavors that mingle with a light sweetness. The finish is earthy and significantly sour. The flavors are mellower than the Organic Gueuze and definitely more mellow than Rosé De Gambrinus.

Mouthfeel (3.5): No detectable carbonation, smooth and a little watery with an extremely dry finish.

Drinkability (5.0): For a lambic this is very drinkable.

Overall (3.85): This beer is enjoyable, but it doesn't stand up to the Lou Pepe Kriek or the Rosé De Gambrinus. The qualities that cause the taste score to suffer increase the score for drinkability though.

Labels: , , , ,