375. Rodenbach Classic

375. Rodenbach Classic



I purchased a 750 mL bottle of Rodenbach several months ago. It's been sitting in my "cellar" ever since (note: my cellar is a cabinet in the living room). After having the Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek at The Belgian Room in NY this weekend I was in the mood for another sour beer. I lightly chilled this and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters. Rodenbach is a Flanders Red Ale. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (4.0): Pours a lightly hazy dark ruby, with a very persistent foamy beige head that leaves patchy lace around the glass.

Smell (4.0): Aroma is fruity and sharp. Notes of sour cherries are evident above a sharp vinegary base. Upon swirling the sharp aromas give way to sweeter fruity aromas.

Taste (4.0): A sharp sour flavor greets the taste buds, which mellows to an acidic fruitiness in the center. The finish is sour with light residual sweetness poking through, along with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Light carbonation, light-bodied with a refreshing dryness.

Drinkability (4.5): Surprisingly drinkable for the style, the dryness is very refreshing.

Overall (4.05): My only complaint is that this beer could be a little more sour.

Labels: , , ,