368. Oro De Calabaza

368. Oro De Calabaza



I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits a week or two ago. The Jolly Pumpkin bottles have always caught my eye because of the attractive labels. I let this warm to around 50ºF and served it in one of my Duvel Tulips. This is a Bière de Garde, a style I have limited experience with. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (5.0): When I opened the bottle foam started bubbling out. This occured for at least two minutes until I started pouring. Pours a hazy golden color, the clarity improves after the carbonation has diminished leaving a sparkling brew. The beer is topped with a thick merengue-like head that is persistent, and leaves nice lace. Absolutely beautiful.

Smell (4.0): Peppery with a citric tartness. There's a musty yeasty smell that emerges upon swirling, and the slightest hint of hops.

Taste (4.0): Sweet upfront with strong citrus flavors in the center. Powdery yeast flavors appear in the finish followed by pepper and a light bitterness and alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Strong carbonation, smooth, lightly oily with a dry finish.

Drinkability (4.0): Very nice flavors, not overpowering, the alcohol is detectable but not overpowering.

Overall (4.2): A delicious beer, sweet, spicy and very drinkable.

Labels: , ,