29. Red Stripe Jamaican Lager

29. Red Stripe Jamaican Lager



We picked up a twelve-pack of Red Stripe, a six-pack of Heineken, a six-pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and a six-pack of Harpoon Munich Dark for a lab pizza lunch. I pocketed a couple bottles of Red Stripe and brought them home. Given that my other beers were of higher quality and I wasn't in the mood for savoring an Orval or Westvleteren 8, I decided to go with Red Stripe. I served this right out of the fridge in a Post Road Pumpkin Ale pint glass. Red Stripe is an American Macro Lager. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (2.5): Pours a clear pale (almost sickly) straw color with a thin white head that diminishes to a thin layer and eventually disappears.

Smell (3.0): Predominantly sweet in the nose with a bit of graininess. Typical average American Macro Lager smell.

Taste (2.0): There's a sweetness up front, but not much else. Maybe a light tartness, and very mild hops. The flavor reminds me of seltzer.

Mouthfeel (2.5): Light and watery, but not as bad as some. The finish is grainy.

Drinkability (3.5): Pretty easy to drink.

Overall (2.5): Decent for the style, on par with PBR or the High Life.

Labels: , ,