352. Aventinus

352. Aventinus



I purchased a 500 mL bottle at Downtown Wine & Spirits, partly due to things I've heard/read, partly because of the cool paper wrapper. Accordind to the label this bottle was brewed in 2001. I let this warm to around 45ยบ F and served in my UFO Weizen glass.

This is a Wheat-Dopplebock, or a Weizenbock. These beers are stronger versions of Dunkel Weizens. They have many of the characteristics of Hefe Weizens with darker malt characteristics. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (4.0): Pours a hazy brown with thick beige head that thins at a moderate pace and eventually disappears completely. Large chucks of yeast settle at the bottom.

Smell (4.5): I detect a malty, caramel sweetness, with notes of dark fruit (raisins, upon thinking back). I get very light banana, something I could have missed had I not been looking for it, and light alcohol.

Taste (4.5): I get spicy clove flavors upfront, as well as fruity and caramel flavors in the center. The finish is lightly bitter, with warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel (5.0): This beer is moderately carbonated, and pleasantly tingly. It's medium-bodied and silky smooth.

Drinkability (4.5): Delicious, and easy to drink. Much more so than I expected based on the rich malt flavors.

Overall (4.4): I liked this beer a lot. It combined some of the characters that I like in Hefe Weizens with nice rich malt flavors.

Labels: , ,