355. Unibroue 15

355. Unibroue 15



It's been awhile since my last update. I've been busy in lab attaching radioactive phosphate groups to Histone H1, and thus haven't had as much time for beer. I picked up two 750 mL bottles of Unibroue 15 at Downtown Wine and Spirits a couple weeks ago. I decided to have one tonight and save the other for cellaring. I should pick up another bottle or two of Edition 2005, so I can do a vertical tasting that includes 11, Editions 2004 & 2005 and 15. I let this warm up to around 45ºF and served in one of my Duvel Tulips. Unibroue 15 is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (5.0): The pressure inside the bottle shot the cork across my room. Pours a hazy amber-golden, with a thick fluffy head, and large champagne-like bubbles that stream from the etching at the bottom of my tulip. Good head retention, with patchy lace clinging to the side of the glass. The head eventually fades to a thin layer, but reemerges readily upon swirling.

Smell (4.5): Upon opening and pouring I noticed a strong earthy yeasty smell. In the nose there's a light sweetness, an orange-cream aroma, bananas, peppery spice, and a light graininess.

Taste (4.5): When the carbonation dies down sweet malts are evident upfront. These are eclipsed by a citric tartness that becomes evident in the center. I also get fruity notes of sour apple and banana. Finishes with a nice bitterness, with notes of spice and alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel (4.5): Vigorous carbonation, medium-bodied, smooth, with a slightly oily feel. The finish is mildly dry.

Drinkability (4.5): Despite being 10% alcohol by volume, this beer is delicious and easy to drink. I'll have to go back to DW&S and buy them out of this one.

Overall (4.6): A great example of the style. It's hard to compare to the other beers in this series since I haven't had them in so long, but overall very enjoyable.

Labels: , ,