379. Cantillon Organic Gueuze

379. Cantillon Organic Gueuze



Continuing on my sour beer kick I picked up a bottle of Cantillon Organic Gueuze. I lightly chilled this (50-55º F) and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters. This beer is a Gueuze. BJCP Style Guide.

Appearance (4.0): Pours a lightly hazy golden, with good clarity. It's topped by a half-inch white head that fades to a persistent thin ring.

Smell (4.5): This smells a lot like the Rosé de Gambrinus that I had last night. There are characteristic sour lambic and barnyard aromas. However, upon sitting sweet fruity aromas appear, pear stands out to me.

Taste (4.5): A citric sourness greets the tongue, followed by an explosion of fruitiness in the center followed by a sour lambic finish. The sourness is mellow compared to the other Cantillon lambics that I've had. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Light prickly carbonation, light-bodied with a very dry finish.

Drinkability (4.5): The sourness is nicely balanced making this very drinkable.

Overall (4.35): My experience with the style is limited, but I found this very enjoyable. It wasn't as sour as I had hoped, but this is probably for the best as it allows an intense fruitiness to shine through.

Labels: , , , ,