598. Harpoon Frankenfest Lager (100 Barrel Series #16)

598. Harpoon Frankenfest Lager (100 Barrel Series #16)



I've finally gotten over a cold, and can smell again, so it's back to reviewing beers. I purchased this a month or so ago at Downtown Wine & Spirits. It's been sitting in my fridge since then. I let it warm to around 45º F and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Harpoon Brewery
Alcohol: 6.90%
Serving: Bottle, 22 oz.
Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (4.0): Pours a clear amber with a thick, beige head that fades to a patchy film leaving no lace.

Smell (3.0): Pretty light overall, but it has caramel, fruitiness and a hint of hops.

Taste (3.5): Very malty upfront, with some toasty flavors and a nice caramel sweetness that lingers through to the finish where it's met with a leafy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Medium to full bodied with low carbonation.

Drinkability (3.5): Tasty and flavorful, but fairly heavy.

Overall (3.55): Not a bad Oktoberfest. I've decided to calibrate my ratings to skew a bit lower. This is only the second beer to be rated under the 'new' system, so numerically it seems lower than it is based on the new system.

Labels: ,