1015. Mayflower Porter

1015. Mayflower Porter

I went to a friend's thesis defense celebration at the Tavern in Central Square last Thursday. I had several Mayflower Porters while I was there.

I have to say this beer grew on me through the course of the night. I think of my improved perception of this beer has to do with the initial wateriness caused by the frosted glass that it was served in. I'm pretty convinced of my modified ratings.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Mayflower Brewing Company
Alcohol: 5.50%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: English Porter, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance: 3.5 | Smell: 4.0 | Taste: 4.0 | Mouthfeel: 3.5 | Drinkability: 5.0

Overall:
3.95

Pours a clear, ruby-tinted brown. Topped by a frothy, light-brown head that fades to a film. The aroma is rich and malty. There are notes of chocolate, toffee, coffee, and a mild booziness.

Mildly sweet malts are well balanced against a roasty backbone: notes of toffee, chocolate and a nice booziness. There's a sharp bite in the finish with a nice, lingering, roasted bitterness. Moderately carbonated and light-bodied.

This is a fine session beer. It's very flavorful and not overpowering, yet it's not a beer that grows bland after you've had a couple.

Labels: