492. Raison D'Extra

492. Raison D'Extra



I noticed that they had singles of this at Downtown Wine & Spirits, so I picked one up. This was bottled on 29 September 2006. I let it warm to around 50ยบ F and served it in one of my Ommegang chalices.

The bottle says:
This bulbous brown flavored ale is brewed with boatloads of big ol' raisins.
Beer Stats:
Brewery: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Alcohol: 20.00%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: Style, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (4.0): Pours a lightly hazy brown with a thin beige head that fades to a persistent film, leaving patchy lace clinging to the side of the glass.

Smell (3.0): Very sweet and fruity. Aromas of raisins dominate. There's a hint of graininess and alcohol (though nothing to hint at it's alcohol content). The raisins are overpowering.

Taste (3.5): Very, very sweet. Tart raisins are present and dominant throughout. There's a bit of spiciness and a very subtle bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Full-bodied and syrupy (though not unpleasant), low but tingly carbonation, with a strong warming sensation.

Drinkability (3.5): The high alcohol is well hidden, but it's still there. The beer is also very sweet.

Overall (3.55): I didn't realize that this was such a strong beer when I started drinking it. The alcohol was so well hidden that I didn't realize this was so strong until I checked beer advocate halfway through. It would make a nice dessert beer, and reminds me a little of port in that respect.