490. De Dolle Bos Keun

490. De Dolle Bos Keun



I purchased this on my last trip to Downtown Wine & Spirits. This is a spring seasonal from De Dolle. The label describes it as a "Speciaal Paasbier," which I can't find a translation for. I let this warm to around 45ยบ F and served it in one of my Duvel tulips.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
Alcohol: 7.00%
Serving: Bottle, 11.6 oz.
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (4.5): Pours a cloudy golden-orange with chunks of yeast that are whipped around by the vigorous carbonation. The head is fucking ridiculous (I poured it as gently as I could). It's at least four fingers, probably more had the head not run out of glass to expand into. The head eventually overflowed the glass making a mess. I removed the top of the head only to have it rise another half-inch. The head itself is a fluffy, off-white meringue that slowly fades, coating the inside of the glass with lace. Honestly I couldn't decide whether to be impressed or annoyed, I eventually settled on the former.

Smell (4.5): The nose is very fruity with notes of banana, sour apple and pineapple. There's also a light medicinal phenolic character evident on swirling.

Taste (3.5): Lightly fruity and sweet initially. There are hints of banana and sour apple. The finish is peppery and lightly medicinal with a low herbal hop bitterness. There's a light residual sweetness in the finish along with some alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Light-bodied, low carbonation (surprising given the vigorous head). A touch watery.

Drinkability (4.5): Light-bodied and easy to drink with a noticeable, but not overpowering alcoholic spice.

Overall (4.0): A very nice Belgian Strong Pale Ale. It's not my favorite, but it's very good and very drinkable.

Labels: , ,