447. Cantillon Saint Lamvinus

447. Cantillon Saint Lamvinus



Due to financial constraints and new beers in the fridge I pushed my weekly beer run back to Thursday. My only two purchases were a four-pack of Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale and a bottle of Saint Lamvinus, mainly because of the high price of the latter. I let this warm to around 45ยบ F and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

This is another Cantillon fruit lambic. The website has this to say:
The grapes, of the merlot and cabernet-franc varieties, are soaked in Bordeaux barrels containing two to three years old lambic. The beer is not blended before the bottling.
I've been wanting to buy a bottle of Saint Lamvinus for awhile. It's the last Cantillon lambic that DW&S sells that I haven't tried. I haven't purchased a bottle until now because of the price, $40 for a 750 mL bottle. When I was leaving the liquor store my mouth was literally watering in anticipation.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Brasserie Cantillon
Year: 2003
Alcohol: 6.00%
Serving: Bottle, 750 mL
Style: Fruit Lambic, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (5.0): Pours a hazy maroon with orange tints arounf the edges. A foamy, purplish-white, half-inch head tops the beer, before fading to a somewhat persistent ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell (5.0): Undisturbed an acidic tartness is predominant with light medicinal phenols, light hints of grapes and a light funkiness. Upon swirling the characteristic Cantillon earthy/funky/barnyard aroma becomes very dominant.

Taste (5.0): Sweet and tart grapes are evident upfront. The fruit is noticeable without being overdone or overpoweringly sweet. A strong acidic tartness appears in the center and mingles with a light residual fruitiness. The finish has a savory funkiness with a hard-to-place mouthwatering quality.

Mouthfeel (5.0): Light-bodied with prickly carbonation. The finish is very dry.

Drinkability (5.0): Delicious, the light fruitiness provides a nice balance to the strong tartness.

Overall (5.0): A fantastic fruit lambic, the fruit is present without being overpoweringly sweet. There's also a nice strong tartness and funkiness that I like. This beer is definitely worth my first 5.0.

Labels: , , , ,