444. Smuttynose Big A IPA

444. Smuttynose Big A IPA



I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits on Monday. The most recent DIPAs that I've had have been a little too sweet in my opinion. I'd heard Smuttynose Big A IPA was a "hop bomb" so I picked up a bottle before DW&S ran out for the year. I let this warm and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Smuttynose Brewing Company
Year: 2006
Alcohol: 9.20%
Serving: Bottle, 22 oz.
Style: American Double IPA, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (4.0): Pours a lightly hazy orange-golden with a foamy white head that thins to a patchy layer leaving light lace on the glass.

Smell (4.5): Lightly sweet and fruity malts are noticeable, but secondary to a strong citric hop aroma. Very nice.

Taste (4.5): Malty upfront, which are lightly sweet and toasty. A big tart and citric hop bitterness appears in the center. The aftertaste is a lingering bitterness with a brief flash of citrus.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, and a slick oiliness.

Drinkability (4.0): The hop bitterness is dominant and balanced by some malty sweetness, but isn't overpowered.

Overall (4.3): A good hoppy DIPA. The hops are dominant and aren't overpowered by malty sweetness like some that I've had.

Labels: , ,