414. St. Bernardus Tripel

414. St. Bernardus Tripel

I purchased a bottle of St. Bernardus Tripel at Downtown Wine & Spirits lat last week, but didn't have it until Thursday. This was one of the beers that I tried at Belgium Comes to Cooperstown. I let it warm to around 45ยบ F and served it in my Westvleteren chalice. There's no picture since I left my camera in lab after our camping trip.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV
Alcohol: 8.00%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: Tripel, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (4.0): Pours a cloudy golden with a foamy, creamy, white head that thins to a quarter-inch layer, that fades to a persistent film.

Smell (4.5): The nose is fruity with notes of banana, yeast and a spicy graininess.

Taste (4.5): Fruity banana upfront, with a nuttiness in the center. The finish is grainy and citric with spicy alcohol and a very light bitterness,

Mouthfeel (5.0): Moderate carbonation, creamy, light to medium-bodied.

Drinkability (4.0): The flavors are good but strong, as is the alcohol.

Overall (4.4): This is a delicious Tripel. The sweet fruitiness is moderated well by the alcoholic spice and light bitterness.

Labels: , ,