210. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale

210. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale



This is another six-pack that I purchased when Susan and Christian came over for dinner. The last bottle sat in the fridge for a week or two because I thought I hadn't had it before, but this must have been one I had sometime my first two years in grad school.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Smuttynose Brewing Company
Alcohol: 6.00%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: Pumpkin Ale, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance: 4.0 | Smell: 4.0 | Taste: 4.0 | Mouthfeel: 4.0 | Drinkability: 3.5

Overall:
3.95

Pours a hazed copper, and is topped by a fluffy, one-inch head that retains well. The aroma is pumpkin flesh and accompanying pumpkin pie spice. Definitely strong cinnamon and nutmeg. Smells like pumpkin pie, which is what I like in a pumpkin beer.

Sweet pumpkin starch upfront, moving into a spicy center with the sweetness of the pumpkin as an undercurrent. There's a bit of toastiness as well. The finish has more hop bitterness than most other pumpkin ales that I've had. Light-bodied, high carbonation, smooth.

Pretty spicy, so not something to have a lot of.

Labels: ,