706-707. The Publick House

Last Thursday Jadyn and I went to The Publick House for dinner and drinks with Jasper, one of her labmates. We had the Belgian Frites to start, I had the Corbonade Flamande, Jadyn had the pumpkin ravioli and Jasper had a burger. I started off with an Orval and then decided to have a couple of new beers.

706. La Binchoise Reserve Spéciale

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Brasserie La Binchoise
Alcohol: 9.00%
Serving: Tap
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale, BJCP Style Guide

I hadn't seen this one on tap before this visit, and being a Belgian beer it fit my mood. It poured a lightly hazed amber with a thin wispy film for a head. The aroma was fairly mild, some tart fruitiness, and a light medicinal quality that became more evident as the beer warmed. The taste was sweet and fruity with a tart cherry undertone. The finish is medicinal and herbal. Light-bodied with a pleasing crispness that comes from the carbonation and the slightly dry finish. Very drinkable. I've never had anything from this brewery before, but I'll probably pick some more of their stuff up if I see it.

707. Echte Kriekenbier

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Brouwerij Verhaeghe
Alcohol: 6.80%
Serving: Bottle, 11.2 oz.
Style: Flanders Red Ale, BJCP Style Guide

Jasper translated the name for me, it means Real Kriekenbier (kriekenbier doesn't really need translation). It pours a clear brown-red. A thick, dense, brown head tops the beer, but thins to a wispy film. The aroma is a buttery diacetyl that dissipates a bit after sitting, revealing a tart and sweet cherry aroma. An earthy aroma also emerges as the beer warms. The initial impression is a prickly carbonation followed by sweet cherry flavor with a light tartness. The finish is a mix of sweet and tart. Light-bodied, high carbonation, lightly dry. A little bit sweet for my tastes.

Labels: , , ,