659. Bucking Bock

659. Bucking Bock



I got three Rahr & Sons six-packs in a trade with Bryan. After my trip to Belgium he wanted to try Gueuze, but wasn't having much luck finding any in his area. I put together a shipment of 5 or 6 bottles and sent it his way. I'd asked for some Rahr beers in return since I haven't tried any before. I originally tried this one a few weeks ago, but only got around to trying it again to review it tonight. I let it warm a bit and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Rahr & Sons Brewing Company
Alcohol: 7.50%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: Maibock/Helles Bock, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance (3.5): Pours a lightly hazy golden with a thin, sudsy, white head that persists for a while as a thin film.

Smell (2.5): Light aromas of grains with a bit of grassy hops.

Taste (3.5): Light breadiness, some sweet malts, citric tartness with a hint of spiciness going down. The finish is a light, grassy, hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Drinkability (3.5): Light in flavor, but pretty drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden.

Overall (3.3): This seems like a decent shot at the style. It really suffers because of the lack of a significant aroma.

Labels: ,