1085. Founders Breakfast Stout

1085. Founders Breakfast Stout



Jadyn and I had dinner at The Publick House on October 24th. I started with a Delirium Tremens while we waited for a table, and had an Atomium Grand Cru with my meal, Waterzooi aux Poissons, a stew of mussels, cod, scallops, shrimp and potatoes. I'm not normally a seafood fan, but as part of my ongoing efforts to expand my pallate I decided to give a seafood heavy dish a go. I was very pleased with my decision. The broth was creamy and delicious, and the seafood was fresh and tasty, though I'm still not a huge fan of the texture of scallops. My final beer of the evening was Founders Breakfast Stout, which I had as an after dinner beverage.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: : Founder's Brewing Company
Alcohol: 8.30%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: American Double Stout

Appearance: 4.0 | Smell: 4.0 | Taste: 4.0 | Mouthfeel: 4.5 | Drinkability: 4.0

Overall: 4.05


Founders Breakfast Stout pours an opaque black, and is topped by a dark brown head that fades to a bubbly ring, and leaves good lacing. This stout has a wonderful, rich, roasty aroma. Strong notes of coffee beans are dominant, with subordinate notes of chocolate and hints of dark fruit. Swirling the beer enhances the dark fruit aromas.

There's a strong, roasty character present from start to finish in this beer. Upfront it serves as a counterpoint to chocolate sweetness, in the center it mellows allowing the chocolate flavors to blend with notes of dark fruit for a sweet kick, and in the finish the coffee used in this stout emerges and melds with the roasted flavors giving a lingering bitterness. This stout is full-bodied, moderately carbonated, and smooth and creamy.

I thought that this was a good, strong stout. There's a lot going on, and a nice interplay between the chocolate and coffee.

Labels: