996. Anchor Bock Beer

996. Anchor Bock Beer



I'm surprised that I didn't know about this beer until now. I like most of Anchor's beer, but I'd never seen their spring seasonal before. So when I saw it at Downtown Wine & Spirits Tuesday night (March 31st) I had to buy a six-pack.

Beer Stats:
Brewery: Anchor Brewing Company
Alcohol: 5.50%
Serving: Bottle, 12 oz.
Style: Bock, BJCP Style Guide

Appearance: 4.0 |Smell: 3.5 | Taste: 3.5 | Mouthfeel: 3.5 | Drinkability: 4.0

Overall: 3.65

Pours a clear, reddish brown. It's topped by a thick, fluffy, brown head, which retains well and clings to the side of the glass as it fades. The aroma is malty: roasty hints of chocolate and a light fruitiness.

Well attenuated upfront, the lack of sweetness really accentuates the darker malts used in this beer. There's a mild fruity sweetness in the center and a nice roasted bitterness in the finish that's reminiscent of coffee. There's also a mild buttery off-flavor in the finish. Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation and a roasted, husky quality in the finish.

Aside from the very light diacetyl flavor in the finish this is a very nice beer.

Labels: