327-328. The Publick House, Again

We weren't able to have dinner at The Publick House the last time we went. So we invited Dave and Heather to go there for dinner tonight. Though I'm hardly a beer expert, I certainly felt like one making recommendations for Dave and Heather. Heather had Lindemans Framboise, and Dave had St Bernardus Abt 12 and Allagash Tripel. The Draught Menu had changed significantly since our last visit, which I've heard they rotate frequently.

327. Nostradamus


I couldn't pass up a "Limited Time" offering, so I got this to start off with. This came in an 11.2 oz. brown bottle with a snail-gnome hybrid character riding a book, and was served in a Caracole snifter. Nostradamus is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, with a thick light-brown creamy head that thins to a quarter-inch layer, but reemerges upon swirling.

Smell: Fruity aromas of raisins and cherries are strong, with softer spicy notes.

Taste: This beer is spicy and sweet upfront, with toffee flavors in the center. The finish is tart and fruity, with an alcoholic warmth. Light bitterness is evident in the aftertaste. As the beer warms the fruit flavors become stronger, as do spices and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation and a smooth creamy finish.

Drinkability: Very pleasant, it has nice flavors, and is a little strong, but not too overpowering.

Overall: I liked this beer better than McChouffe, which seemed to have a predominantly spicy flavor profile. The flavors reminded me more of Ommegang. I had this with the Arrogant Bastard Meatloaf. I think the sweetness and fruitiness of the beer went well with the sweet and slightly bitter sauce.

328. Vuuve White

I always notice this beer when I go into Downtown Wine & Spirits, but the layer of dust on the bottles makes me worry that they're past their prime. I thought a Witbier would be refreshing after the heavy meatloaf. This came in a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. The dots in the U's make them look like boobs. It was served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance (4.0): Pours a hazy golden, with a half-inch white head that quickly diminished to a thin layer.

Smell (4.0): The aroma is predominantly peppery with citrus notes. If I knew what coriander smelled like I would probably detect that as well. I get an earthy aroma with agitation.

Taste (4.5): Floral but not hoppy flavors are evident upfront. Citrus and spicy notes emerge in the center. The finish is sweet and tart with a slight zesty bitterness.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Light-bodied with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability (5.0): This was light and refreshing, which was nice after the heavy meal. The beer also cleansed the palate well. It remains very drinkable even after it warms.

Overall (TC: 4.275, BA: 4.25): Nice, light and refreshing.

Labels: , , , , ,