164. Ommegang

164. Ommegang

I decided I needed to use one of my new pieces of glassware for its intended beer. I picked up a four-pack of 12 oz. Ommegang bottles at Downtown Wine and Spirits. I served this chilled, but consumed over a time frame that allowed sufficient warming.

Ommegang is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Belgian Strong Dark Ales are typically high in alcohol, with spicy and fruity flavors. The amount of hop bitterness will vary.

Appearance (4.5): Pours a dark hazy brown with hints of maroon. A fluffy orange-brown head tops the beer, but recedes to a thin layer quickly. Head reemerges readily upon swirling.

Smell (4.5): Sweet malts and fruits. Notes of caramel and raisins, with tart cherry aromas arising upon agitation.

Taste (5.0): Sweet, bready malts dominate the front of the palate. Tart fruit and spices emerge in the center. Powdery yeast is evident in the finish with a light bitterness that provides a very nice balance. This is really delicious.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Tingly carbonation tickles the tip of the tongue. The beer is medium-bodied with a dry finish.

Drinkability (4.5): The delicious flavors keep me drinking, and the beer, though high alcohol, is easy to drink.

Overall (4.65): I absolutely love this beer. It's a nice balance of sweet, spicy and bitter.

Labels: , ,