308. Boon Framboise

308. Boon Framboise

This is a Fruit Lambic, specifically a raspberry lambic. I purchased a green 12 oz. corked bottle at Downtown Wine and Spirits in Davis Square. After letting it warm up for about half an hour I served it in one of my New Belgium snifter-style glasses. I decided to pick this up while browsing to broaden my experience in Lambics. Next I have my eye on a $30 bottle of Cantillon.

Appearance (4): Pours a hazy reddish-orange color, with soda-like carbonation that clings to the side of the glass. A short white head rises, then quickly diminishes to a ring.

Smell (4.5): The aroma is sweet and fruity, mostly raspberries, with a subtle earthiness.

Taste (4): Raspberry sweetness hits the palate up front, followed by acidic tartness, and then a slightly dry finish. There's a slight hop bitterness here, but it's not a strong presence.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Smooth and medium bodied, light prickly carbonation

Drinkability (3.5): Drinkable, but a little too dry to be something you could drink bottle after bottle of.

Overall (4): I don't have a lot of experience with the lambic styles. This is only the second Framboise lambic I've had. I prefer it to Lindeman's on it's own. I find that it's not as sweet and just seems more well balanced, though I think Lindeman's wins as far as potential for pairing with desserts.

Labels: , , , ,